For your safety and comfort, please follow these general pre and post-operative instructions. More detailed instructions will be given prior to your surgery date.
- Do not eat, drink, or chew anything for 8 hours prior to arriving at the surgery center. This includes water and mints, candy, gum and chewing tobacco. There are few special considerations to this guideline. Please call to speak to a Pre-Op nurse if you have any concerns.
- Do not consume alcohol 24 hours prior to your surgery. Refrain from smoking 12 hours prior to your surgery. These substances can cause you to have adverse reactions to anesthesia and medications.
- Brush your teeth on the morning of your procedure but do not swallow any water.
- Bathe or shower on the morning of your procedure to minimize the risk of infection. DO NOT USE ANY body lotion or powder the morning of procedure.
- Please do not wear any eye make up.
- Wear comfortable clothing such as a shirt or blouse that doesn’t need to be pulled over your head and low-heeled shoes.
- Leave valuables at home except what is needed to take care of any financial obligations you may have.
- Contact lenses may not be worn during your procedure. Either leave them at home or bring a case for their safekeeping.
- Health changes should be reported immediately to your physician, even if the changes seem minor such as fever, cough, rash, or a cold. Please notify your physician if there is a possibility that you are pregnant.
- Arrange for a responsible adult to drive you home and stay with you for the first 24 hours following your procedure because the effects of anesthesia and sedation will make you drowsy for that period of time.
- Arrive at your scheduled time that was assigned by the Pre-Op nurse. If you have not been contacted by noon the last business day before your surgery, call the Pre-Op nurse at (713) 743.7167.
After leaving the surgical suite, you will be moved to the recovery area where our staff will care for you until you are awake and comfortable. As soon as your condition is stable and you have a responsible adult to drive you home, you will be discharged. You will be provided with instructions for home care. Please follow these instructions and be sure to ask questions if there is anything you do not understand.
Post-Operative (After Surgery) Instructions
A nurse from UHCO Surgery Center will call you at home one business day after the procedure to check on your recovery. If you have not been contacted, please call and ask to speak to a Post-Op Nurse.
- Follow instructions for drops from your provider
- If you experience any discomfort after surgery you may take two (2) Advil or Tylenol. If this doesn't relieve your discomfort, please contact your surgeons office.
- Do not use any makeup on the operated eye for one week after surgery.
- You may wash your face, but make sure you close your eyes so that no soapy water or foreign material gets into the eye. You may shave and wash your hair the day after surgery, by taking a tub bath (NO SHOWER the day after surgery, but you may shower 2nd day after surgery).
For your well-being, we recommend that you wait at least 24 hours before you:
- Drive or use power equipment
- Eat a heavy meal
- Consume alcoholic beverages
- Take medication not approved by your physician
- Sign important papers or make important decisions
- Stay by yourself