On the day of your surgery you will report to the surgery center at your appointed time. You can expect to be there for 2-3 hours. This is to insure proper preparation of the eye and recovery time. Once surgery is completed you will be discharged to the care of a responsible adult to drive you home. You will have to put in a few more drops that evening and will most likely want to rest. The days after surgery you will follow up as instructed by your surgeon and continue taking your drops. You will have some restrictions on your activities for a few days.
*Even though cataract surgery is a very routine procedure, it is still surgery. Be sure to get all of your questions answered and follow all instructions.*
Below please find more detailed Pre & Post Operative Instructions
- Do not eat, drink, or chew anything for 8 hours prior to arriving at the surgery center. This includes water and mints, candy, gum and chewing tobacco. There are few special considerations to this guideline. Please call to speak to a Pre-Op nurse if you have any concerns.
- Do not consume alcohol 24 hours prior to your surgeryRefrain from smoking12 hours prior to your surgery. These substances can cause you to have adverse reactions to anesthesia and medications.
- Brush your teeth on the morning of your procedure but do not swallow any water.
- Bathe or shower on the morning of your procedure to minimize the risk of infection.
- Please do not wear any eye make up.
- Wear comfortable clothing such as a shirt or blouse that doesn’t need to be pulled over your head and low-heeled shoes.
- Leave valuables at home except what is needed to take care of any financial obligations you may have.
- Contact lenses may not be worn during your procedure. Either leave them at home or bring a case for their safekeeping.
- Health changes should be reported immediately to your physician, even if the changes seem minor such as fever, cough, rash, or a cold. Please notify your physician if there is a possibility that you are pregnant.
- Arrange for a responsible adult to drive you home and stay with you for the first 24 hours following your procedure because the effects of anesthesia and sedation will make you drowsy for that period of time.
- Arrive at your scheduled time that was assigned by the Pre-Op nurse. If you have not been contacted by noon the last business day before your surgery, call the Pre-Op nurse at (713) 743.7167.
Post-Operative (After Surgery) Instructions
After leaving the surgical suite, you will be moved to are covery area where our staff will care for you until you are awake and comfortable. As soon as your condition is stable and you have a responsible adult to drive you home, you will be discharged. You will be provided with instructions for home care. Please follow these instructions and be sure to ask questions if there is anything you do not understand.
A nurse from UHCO Surgery Center will call you at home one business day after the procedure to check on your recovery. If you have not been contacted, please call and ask to speak to a Post-Op Nurse.
For your well-being, we recommend that you wait at least 24 hours before you:
- Drive or use power equipment
- Eat a heavy meal
- Consume alcoholic beverages
- Take medication not approved by your physician
- Sign important papers or make important decisions
- Stay by yourself