UHCO had 44 students become Student Fellows of the American Academy of Optometry at the 2018 mtg. in San Antonio.
The Academy offers the Student Fellowship program to encourage students to experience the entire meeting, hoping that it will stimulate improved integration of all of the opportunities offered at the meeting, encourage future involvement, and persuade students to become Fellows upon graduation.
The Student Fellowship program is a great opportunity for students to engage in cutting edge knowledge and technology through lectures, workshops, posters and much more! The program is geared to guide students to develop their skills as an optometric or vision science professional.
Student Fellowship Requirements
- The entire process of obtaining Student Fellowship takes place during the annual meeting:
- Be a Student Member of the Academy. Your OD graduation date must take place after the annual meeting of which you are pursuing Student Fellowship. Residents and graduate students are not eligible to participate.
- Before the annual meeting, notify the Academy you want to become a Student Fellow by selecting the "I want to pursue Student Fellowship" box during registration for the meeting
- View a mandatory orientation video. You must view this video by Wednesday, November 14 at 11:59 PM ET for it to count toward your Student Fellowship requirements.
- Attend 4 hours of continuing education, at least two hours must be in one or more of the following topic areas:
- Public Health, Jurisprudence, or Practice Management
- Binocular Vision
- Low Vision
- Contact Lenses
- Attend 1 hour of paper presentation sessions (Residents Day paper sessions also count) **
- Attend 1 hour of poster presentation sessions (Residents Day poster sessions also count) **
- Attend ONE of the following sessions:
- Plenary Session (Wednesday, November 7 from 10 AM to Noon)
- Monroe J. Hirsch Symposium (Thursday, November 8 from 8 to 10 AM)
- Ezell Fellows Presents (Friday, November 9 from 2 to 4 PM)
- Attend the Student/Resident Awards Lunch
- Attend ONE Section or SIG Symposium*
- Attend the American Academy of Optometry and American Academy of Ophthalmology Joint Symposium*