Admittance to the graduate program in physiological optics/vision science normally requires the following:
- A Bachelor of Science or an undergraduate Engineering degree from an accredited academic or professional institution comparable to the degrees awarded at the University of Houston in biological or physical sciences and engineering, or a doctorate (or equivalent) degree in optometry or medicine
- Sufficient training to undertake graduate level study in physiological optics/vision sciences
- A grade point average of B (3.00) or above in all previous college-level or higher work with particular attention being given to science courses
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) general test
- Satisfactory evaluation and recommendation by three teachers or others familiar with the applicant's scholarship and research potential
- Proficiency in speaking and writing English. International students whose native language is not English are expected to score 550 or better on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) and 50 or better on the Test of Spoken English (TSE).