- The applicant of the scholarship must be an African American student enrolled at the University of Houston and pursuing a major in the College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics or the College of Optometry.
- A current photo of the applicant must be attached to each application – no exceptions.
- The Scholarship applicant must be a certified full-time degree-seeking degree seeking student in good standing at the University of Houston, main campus. Theapplicant must have attended the University of Houston at least one semester prior to applying for the scholarship.
- The Scholarship applicant must be a student enrolled for at least twelve (12) semester hours and have acquired sophomore status or above.
- Scholarship applicant must have maintained a 3.0 or better GPA and a 3.0 or better in their declared major within the Colleges of Natural Sciences and Mathematics and Optometry.
- The scholarship applicant must be an individual who has maintained and demonstrated current roles of leadership on the University of Houston main campus and/or have current participation in University of Houston main campus, local and national communities and organizations.
- Scholarship funds will only be distributed for the Fall and Spring semester of the school year that the student is awarded scholarship. Scholarships are awarded for the academic year beginning in the Fall; however students must re-qualify for distribution of scholarship funds for the Spring semester based on the criteria of 3, 4, 5, and 6 above.
- Scholarship recipients may accept other scholarships and grants in conjunction with the Rushion and Cicely McDonald Scholarship.
- Scholarship recipients that are awarded the Rushion and Cicely McDonald scholarship are expected to attend the UHBAA annual scholarship banquet in the year that their scholarship is to be funded. A Rushion and Cicely McDonald Scholarship recipient that chooses not to attend the UHBAA scholarship banquet will risk consideration for future Rushion and Cicely McDonald scholarship awards.
Completed scholarship applications should be mailed to:
The McDonald Scholarship Committee
UH Black Alumni Association c/o UH Alumni Association
P. O. Box 230345
Houston, TX 77223-0345