The scholarship is in memory of AOA Past President, Pat Cummings, O.D., who had a love for volunteering in his profession and making a positive impact in the community. The national winner will be awarded $5,000. The Dr. Pat & Patrick Cummings Scholarship will be awarded to the author of the entry judged to be the best essay submitted to Optometry Cares®, in accordance with the criteria listed below.
- Be a fourth-year student member (class of 2018) of the American Optometric Student Association (AOSA) and the AOA;
- Be a student in good academic standing based on your school’s criteria;
- Obtain one letter of recommendation from a teacher, dean or academic advisor;
- Submit a written paper (in English), not to exceed 3,000 characters including spaces and addresses questions below.
Questions to Address:
- Dr. Pat Cummings was passionate about improving the overall health of the public. How do you exemplify this passion and what are your goals in the area of public health?
- Do you plan to take a leadership role in optometry? Please tell us about leadership roles you have had in optometry school and your future leadership goals.
Students must check with the student affairs office to determine the institution’s on-campus deadline. Each school and college will choose one candidate from all applications received by their on-campus deadline. Each school must forward the individual’s name and essay to Optometry Cares® . The winner will be announced in January 2018.
For all criteria please visit: the American Academy of Optometry Foundation Website.
Recipient must be in good academic standing and meet UHCO eligibility requirements. Completed applications should be sent via email to: email@example.com by October 24 at 5pm.