The annual distributed income shall be spent for student scholarships based on the following criteria:
- Recipient may be an incoming or current full-time degree-seeking student in good standing at the University of Houston College of Optometry.
- The award may be given to an incoming first year optometry student with a minimum overall GPA of 3.2 or may be given to a currently enrolled UHCO optometry student with a minimum 3.0 GPA for each semester enrolled at UHCO prior to the award period.
- Recipient must show exceptional promise and focus in providing outstanding patient care and/or demonstrate outstanding clinical skills.
- Preference will be given to residents of South Texas and underrepresented minorities. If there is not a qualified applicant with these specifications, the recipient will be determined by the UHCO Scholarship Committee.
- Scholarship is renewable while the student is enrolled in the optometry professional program for a total award period not to exceed 4 years, and provided recipient continues to meet the scholarship criteria outlined above, and is a member in good standing as determined by the UHCO Scholarship Selection Committee.
- Recipient can use the funds to cover expenses for tuition, books, fees, and/or supplies for the upcoming academic semester. Any expenses of a recipient in excess of the amount deposited must be borne by the student.
- Recipient may accept other scholarships and grants in conjunction with the Lorena Alanis Memorial Scholarship Endowment.
- Currently No Flyer Available