Dr. J. Davis Armistead, of Lubbock, Texas, was an imponant political figure when the UH College of Optometry was established in 1952. He was appointed by Governor Preston Smith to the UH Board of Regents in 1971 and served as a board member until 1983. It was during his tenure on the board that the optometry building was constructed. A veteran of World War II, and a graduate (0 .D.) from Southern California College of Optometry. Dr. Armistead went on to establish a successful practice in his native Lubbock. He has served on innumerable civic, professional. service, and business boards and organizations, including membership in the prestigious National Academy of Practice, an advisory group to the U.S . Congress. He has been a member of the Texas Optomelric Association since 1948, served in several Executive Committee positions, was President of the South Plains Optometric Society and President of the Foundation for Education & Research in Vision. UHCO honored Dr. Armistead as "Volunteer of the Year" in 1992 and in 1993 he received the ultimate personal honor of having a building named for him, the "J. Davis Armistead Building ".In March 1999, Dr. Armistead received the Texas Optometric Association, Dr. William D. Pittman Award. This prestigious award recognized his volunteer roles with the TOA, his crucial role in helping establish UHCO; his pivotal role in funding and building the new Optometry Building; and his influence as a member of the Board of Regents of the University.